Sunday, March 10, 2013

I'Z Been Awhiles



Hey, Everyfriend!


I'z been awhiles since'in the last time I wrote a blog on this here Blog-O-Matic. So, I figger it's time again. Today is daylight savings day. Why they keep this strange custom going long after the days of necessity I do not know. Keeps things interesting, I guess. The great state of Indiana dropped this flimsy attempt at time travel years ago. Now, they're just the same time. Everybody else is rotating around them like fools. I heard a thing the other day on the radio about how the trains used to keep their own time zones, and would keep the time they started the journey at, all the way through to the end of the line. Chaos ensued. How interesting history is. We live in our grandparents' world. Don't we?

I got a couple new toys!




I got my one act play, PIVOT, published on Amazon, and it's now available to the public to buy in paperback and e-book! YAY! Check it out and if you like it, pick up a copy to support your local writer!

Also, I've been working on my own personal website, which I have been resistant to doing until now. I think it's because I haven't felt like selling myself was a humble thing to do. But as I get older, I find myself more accepting of the idea that what I do can be worth money, and "selling" myself is a good way to move toward getting paid a living wage for what I do. Here's the website:

http://zacharyrouse.com

So, I just closed The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe, at Oregon Children's Theatre. We performed at the Newmark, which is a 900 seater in Downtown Portland. Right after we closed, the Jazz Messengers, who were Art Blakey's band,






played the Newmark. I thought about what an honor It was to perform in such a well-used theatre, for that many people. Waiting in the wings, in between entrances, I had very little time to reflect on what a joy it is to perform. When you're on stage, you're not reflecting. You're behaving. But just before you go on, you have time to think about what a lucky bastard you really are that you get paid to jump around like a tool in front of hundreds of kids and their parents.

This show was surreal for me. We did 37 shows in four weeks. The routine of it turned into a strange purgatory of stage entrances and exits. Two shows in a day. The second time around, you're like, did I already do that scene? Or you're like, here comes that one again. You just did it twice the day before and the day before that, so it takes on this eery quality of perpetuity. It's never a bore to perform. EVER. But it can be routine. You get so used to it. Sometimes you can get too comfortable. You're backstage waiting for an entrance and you start fucking around with somebody's props, or joking with other actors, and all of a sudden your cue line has come and gone and you have to high-tail it to get your ass to where you need to be! Luckily, with LWW, I never had a real scary one. There was one time my Father Christmas beard didn't have the necessary tape affixed to it by a wardrobe person so that it would stay on my face. So I'm back stage trying to get this thing on my face, and there's no tape! It's not a super quick change, but quick enough that if I don't get on it, Father Christmas will be an imposter at best! Luckily for me, the wicked witch of Narnia was nearby and helped me get it together. We're standing there peeling double sided tape and frantically trying to get it onto this huge-ass beard before I have to hand out weapons to the children so they can save the creatures of Narnia from a frigid fate. Saved! Just in time.


ZPR

No comments:

Post a Comment